How to Exploit the Free Resources
of the Internet:
- Download Trial Versions of new
programs for free!
- Browsers - download Netscape's
latest browser (includes integrated wysiwyg html editor)
- or, download Netscape
3.0 Gold - the browser I used to show you the easy way to make pages..
- simply identify your operating system & desired language, then
"select desired version" - Navigator 3.02 Gold
download and install. It's really quite fast and easy.
- Select any browser you want - and get tips
and fixes at Browser.com
- Compare HTML compliance of different
browsers at Crossbrowser.com
- Graphics Tools
Shop Pro Graphics Editor - (Functional Trial Package)
- Gif Animator
- Create your own animated gifs (Functional Trial Package)
- Boutell's Image Map Editor - Mapedit
- easily create image maps
- Server Software
- the web's most popular, best performing, and best priced UNIX server
Web Server - funny name, but legions of satisfied users
- O'Reilly & Associates' windows NT/95 Server
- download browser, server, ActiveX, patches, fixes to Microsoft products
- Tools & Utilities
- WS_FTP - a fine FTP client - select WS_FTPLE.exe
- The World's Best source of free and shareware
Shareware's Webmaster Pro - Full Featured HTML Editor Plus
site Management Tools!
file extraction compression utility (used with *.zip files)
- Check out it's amazing features!
(This is NEW - discovered since the class)
- However, be forewarned - This is new, beta
software and requires 32 mb to run.
- Microsoft's Win95
- Includes a generic windows HTML printer
driver- very handy for publishing legacy documents..
- - and QuickRes - instantly change your screen
resolution to see how your pages look at a variety of resolutions and color
schemes - a must have for effective, professional website development.
Resources Pages - full of many helpful links
- Download software upgrades (HP Printer
- Use training tutorials and free or subscription
reference & information sources
- Promote your website
via free listings at major search engines - Submit-it.com
- Do Market Research
- Competitor's Press Releases
- What are they telling the public about their
- Competior's Website -
- compare the quality of their website
and the information & services it offers with your own public
presence on the web.
- Use web surveys to
capture and analyze user feedback.
- Do Technical Research
- Using popular search engines
- Using specific subject search engines.
- Download Technical Reference Manuals, illustrations,
reports from just about anywhere
(and, if they're not available now, they will be soon)
- Forum Discussions of Technical problems
- Internic Technical Reference
- Subscribe to special interest news alerts
Bert's Anchor Desk from Ziff Davis Publishing's ZDNET
A must see for web news, trends and website developer-specific technical
- Network World's Infusion
updates on Web Technical issues (network specific)
- American Airlines - Netsavers
- special limited-access discount airfares
Use the inexpensive resource
of the web from within your organization to:
- Coordinate Projects
around the world, in real time, with full access to graphical or numeric
- "Publish" a page to share during
a phone conversation. - and do it a price we can all easily afford.
- Automate training and
- Find out why your satisfied customers
like your product or service.... and
why the others don't! (analysis & interpretation of the results may
just give you more answers than there were questions!)
- General Market Research - Receive very valuable
feedback from a limited, but growing, and well-known market.
- Do Web Surveys online - GAUSA.com/surveys
- Learn how to use online surveys effecively
from the Internet Survey Experts at CustomerSat.com
- Create your own FREE online survey using
CustomerSat.com's free survey
'97 Website Lecture Home Page Frameset
Visit Alan's Technical Reference
Pages for Even more information and links to sites with information
Visitors since 9/12/97